Tuesday 10 March 2009

Kinder Six

Handley Page Heyford Mk.III K6875
Handley Page Heyford Mk.III K6875
Originally uploaded by seansonofbig

Out onto Kinder yesterday to look at a few wrecks as a map and compass navex with Moustache Steve.

Over ten muddy miles, we revisited the Halifax and Wellington by Ringing Roger, the Wellington above Grindsbrook Clough, the Anson and Dragon Rapide on Edale Moor, and the Heyford on Broadlee Bank Tor. A little digging was evident at this last site, and the memorial cross had disappeared (illustrated above) .

There was also a bit of of artistic rearrangement at the Dragon Rapide (below).

De Havilland Dragon Rapide G-ALBC
De Havilland Dragon Rapide G-ALBC
Originally uploaded by seansonofbig

Other than that, all was well with the sites we visited.

An interesting thing happened out on Edale Moor-both GPS units started reading consistently about 1km out. This was the first time I have been convinced that GPS units were wrong based on my map and compass navigation. Might have been something to do with the thick hail clouds above us.

It's a scary thing being out there in the middle of Kinder if you are not 100% sure where you are!

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Oooh, I passed by Ringing Roger and Grindsbrook on Monday. If you passed a bird wearing a bright orange jacket, a clashing pink buff and clashing purple gloves, that would have been me.

Now, had I checked out the locations of wrecks up there before I went then I probably would have incorporated some of them into my couple of days yomping through peat bogs. Next time...

Anonymous said...

With regard to the Heyford on Broadlee Bank Tor. I don't know when you were last there but I was up there 'May 08' and can confirm that the cross was still there then, from your picture it looks like some one has also rearranged the stone circle as well.

Anonymous said...

With regard to the Heyford on Broadlee Bank Tor. I don't know when you were last there but I was up there 'May 08' and can confirm that the cross was still there then, from your picture it looks like some one has also rearranged the stone circle as well.