Saturday 1 August 2009

Avro Anson Mk. 1 L9149

Avro Anson Mk. 1 L9149

Second 'plane of the day. More or less all that remains of this Anson which became disorientated and crashed in thick cloud and rain on Fan Brycheiniog in January 1939 are these globs of formerly molten aluminium and rusty scraps of steel.

There is a memorial to this crash and the associated rescue operation at the church in Glyntawe, at the foot of these hills, as previously featured on our site

Location: SN 82499 21249

4 comments:

Jessica D said...

My Grandad was one of the 2 survivors of this plane crash.

Sean said...

Thanks Jessica

Steve Jones said...

Hello Sean, unsure whether my first message got through ?? I'd be interested in contacting Jessica D. in relation to the Anson L9149 incident in South Wales; January 1939.
Like yourself I research and write books about the subject of aviation history. Have some newspaper articles and pics from January 1939 relating to the crash. Please feel free to pass on my contact details to Jessica.
Steve Jones
South Wales
Mobile: 07791032019

Sean said...

Hi Steve, This is first comment I have seen from you on this. I have published your post, but I have no details for Jessica. Hopefully she will see your reply.