Monday 3 September 2018

Republic P-47D-1-RE Thunderbolts, 42-7872 and 42-7898

Air crash sites cats tor

















I had a great day out with Ian DB last Saturday on and around Shining Tor, near Macclesfield. All of the pics for these four sites are c/o Ian, who is a lot better at photography than I am. You can see more examples of this at his site here.

This pic shows the leading plane's impact crater. All of the wreckage seen last time is gone, though a bit of skinning and a new cross have replaced it. The nearby crater of the following plane no longer has any visible wreckage t all.

These two sites are a bit awkward to get to, well away from the path, over a fence and down some steepish roughish ground. There is no reason to suspect they are there is you don't know that they are. This is not the work of "curious walkers". It smells of anorak to me.

Locations:

SJ 99502 75395 (leading)
SJ 99502 75410 (following)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was me who made that cross. I had made two originally but when I returned (I have been several times as I live not too far away), one of them had gone. In terms of pieces disappearing, it is more than likely the wind (it can get very nasty on that face). All you need to do is scan the area and they might reappear.

I also discovered the pieces which are photographed, I found them lower down. I believe that the rusted piece of steel is a section of propeller hub, when I looked at its shape. I also found what I believe is a small chunk of propeller and both pieces seemed to fit nicely.

All you need to do is search, those pieces are there somewhere on that hill.